dimanche 30 août 2009

Love Autumn


Autumn is my very favourite season for so many reasons. I love the seasonal fruit and vegetables, the colours of the leaves and the evening light and mostly, I love the temperature. I am very fair-skinned and the summer sun and heat really doesn't agree with me. I know that September 1st is still a few days away and that the temperatures probably won't drop to anything respectable (by my standards anyway) for at least a couple more weeks yet...BUT, in my excitement, I've already started on the soups.

Having done a lot of food shopping, a lot of cooking and a lot of eating this past week, I decided that the first half of the coming week was going to have to be all about leftovers. Since soups are the perfect way to use up vegetables that are perhaps past their best and I just happened to have four carrots waiting around in the bottom drawer of the fridge and a couple of apples that weren't quite crunchy enough anymore, that's what went in the pot!

Carrot and Apple Soup

4 good sized carrots
2 apples (any kind, mine were Pink Lady)
2 tsp of ginger (unfortunately I didn't have any fresh to hand, but this would be better)
1 litre of vegetable stock
2 shallots
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 large tbsp crème fraîche
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Walnuts to serve

Finely chop the shallots and cut up the carrots and apples.

Sauté the shallots in a little olive oil then add the carrots and apples and sauté for a further few minutes.

Add the ginger powder, the garlic, a pinch of salt and a little ground black pepper. Stir as you sauté so that nothing catches or burns.

Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil for 10 minutes.

Turn the heat right down, cover and simmer for an hour.

Take the soup off the heat and leave for 10 minutes before adding the crème fraîche and blending.

Serve with a handful of chopped walnuts.


*I just had a bowl of soup before posting and it was yummy!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire